Bring on the colors! In October, students will be studying color theory!
1st grade: Students will learn about the primary and secondary colors, and how we make secondary colors.
- Primary colors are: red, blue, yellow
- Secondary colors are: green, orange, and purple
- Students will create a tree painting, incorporating primary and secondary colors.
2nd grade: Students will learn about complementary colors.
- Complementary colors are colors that are opposite of each other on the color wheel.
- red/green, blue/orange, yellow/purple.
- Students will create complementary color monsters.
3rd grade: Students will learn about warm and cool colors.
- Warm colors: red, orange, and yellow - give the feeling of warmth.
- Cool colors: blue, green, and purple - give the feeling of cool.
- Students will create a sailboat painting using warm and cool colors.
4th grade: Students will learn about analogous colors. These are colors located next to each other on the color wheel, for ex: yellow, yellow-green, green or violet, red-violet, red.
- Students will create a paintbrush drawing incorporating the analogous colors.
5th grade: Students will be studying shades and tints and start the process of creating realistic paintings.
- Shades - is adding black to a color.
- Tint - is adding white to a color.
- Students will create an under water scene while applying shades and tints.